Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Me+ Computers= Trouble

So I don't know what it is about me that computers don't seem to like lately, but yesterday I broke Chris' laptop. I was working on the kitchen table and I went to move it so that I could print something out, and all of a sudden on the screen was an error message saying something like, "unable to identify the a/c power source"- when I hadn't even unplugged the power cord. What it should have said was, "this computer will self destruct in 5 seconds" because that is what it did. We have had the computer for just over three years now, and it has broken about 4 times, I think. Apparently we need a new motherboard (I think that would at least be the third motherboard.) The difference between the other breaks and this break is that we no longer have a warranty to cover replacement parts and repairs. Well, at least we have my hp laptop- 4 years old and still going strong, well sort of if you don't count that three month period where it didn't turn on, and then one day it did again, or the fact that Chris makes fun of it because it is so loud that he calls it an airplane taking off.
Here is my question for everyone: Does anyone have a dell latitude d600? The computer tech guy told me that we could take out our hard drive and put it in another lat and we should be able to recover the contents of our hard drive- including all of our pictures of our family and Sadie for the last 7 months.
The moral of the story is if you buy a dell computer you should always get the warranty for as long as you want the computer to last.

6 comments:

Audrey said...

I hate computers and I love computers. Ours (which is a dell) needs more memory, it takes like five minutes to start up. Lame!

Annie said...

I totally feel for you! Our desktop died a few weeks ago...I think the moral of the story should also be use an external hard drive or something to back up those precious pictures!

The Llewellyn's said...

Inspiron 6000 here. Sorry.

I once took my computer to DataDoctors and they said it'd take 2 weeks and $200 to fix. I then took it to MCC and a computer teacher there fixed it in 10 min.

You never know.

Kristen said...

I wish we'd heard the moral to your story about three months ago -- Eric's new law school computer is a Dell. We've already been frustrated because they backordered it after the order deadline (so he couldn't cancel the order and get a new one), and he had to start school without a computer. Ugh! By the way, the pictures of Sadie are amazingly cute. You'd think as a third-time mother I wouldn't always be shocked at the way babies grow up, but I really can't believe she is looking so old! And she definitely gets cuter every day.

Lisa Marie said...

I've broken 2 laptops in 4 years. This time we decided to go with a desk top. Hopefully it won't die on us too! It's amazing how much we depend on them.

The Llewellyn's said...

Time to change the profile to say "Gilbert". It is official, you are Gilbertians now (Gilberters, Gilbertses, whatever)