Sunday, May 18, 2008

Stay-at-home Dads

Has anyone else noticed the increase in stay-at-home dads recently? We are literally surrounded by neighbors with dads who stay at home (both of our immediate male neighbors stay home while their wives' work and there are at least 4 other dads on our street who work from home or stay home with their kids.) At work Chris mainly works with female attorneys, two of which have stay-at-home husbands.

I think it is great that there are women who want to work and that as a couple these parents realize that it is important that one of them stay home and raise their kids. We really love our street and how friendly and family centered it is. I mean since we moved in less than a year ago we have been to 4 neighborhood parties-- last night we had a really fun block party that one of the stay-at-home dads organized. As members of the church we tend to keep ourselves pretty busy with church activities, but it is fun to get to know all of our neighbors. My only complaint is this: while the women on my street are at work, am I suppose to socialize with their husbands? Kind of a funny situation that I never thought I'd be in.


I guess I could follow the crowd and go back to work; Chris is always joking that he would love to stay home with the kids (I guess kid right now) if I want to have a career. I am sure that I will never take him up on that offer; he does a great job of supporting our family.

1 comment:

Lisa Marie said...

I will do my best to make sure Jeron never sees this post. He likes to joke that I should go to work since Civil Engineers can make lots of money. But I'd rather be at home with Kaden and the future kids. Jeron makes plenty money for us to get by.