Sunday, May 6, 2007

Chris & Lolly--The Neighborhood Police

It's nice to know that we live in such a nice neighborhood. Last night Lolly and I were watching Freedom Writers--great movie--when we hit pause. "Do you here that crying?" "Yeah, its been going on for 10-20 minutes." "Where's it coming from?" "Not sure." I went outside and found two little kids left in a car by themselves. One was probably under four and the other under two. I tried asking them where their mommy was, but they just kept crying. (I would too if some strange man was looking into my car and my parents were nowhere to be found). After a couple of minutes of keeping an eye on them from the deck of our apartment, we decided to call the police. As we were on the phone I stepped outside my apartment; I could hear my neighbor downstairs open his door, look out to see that the kids were still in the car, and then go back in to his party or whatever was going on inside. A couple of minutes later, we had two police cars and a fire truck outside our building. Our neighbor tried to play down the fact that he had left his toddlers alone to fend for themselves while the cops threatened to call Child Protective Services. I know that children can be frustrating sometimes, but how do you justify leaving them in a car late at night so that you can hang out with your friends. The car doors were unlocked and someone could have snatched their kids up, or the kids could have gotten hurt. We also have another set of neighbors that get into loud screaming fights. Every time I listen and wait for any evidence of physical abuse. So far none; let's hope it stays that way. Can't wait until we can afford to buy a house!

2 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Good for you guys! I can't believe that they would leave their kids out in the car like that! Unbelievable.

AmyJane said...

Some people don't deserve to have kids. Grrr. Things like that totally get my blood boiling. And we here ya on the house...can't wait to ditch the apartment scene!