We lost our good friend and puppy Belle yesterday. It is amazing how powerful of an effect a little puppy can have on you in such a short amount of time. We only had Belle for about a week before we had her hospitalized. I have to admit that it tore us apart to have to say goodbye to her. There weren't any dry eyes at the Olson home.
As we mentioned in our last post, we decided on Wednesday to fight for the life of Belle. We had her stay in the emergency hospital Wednesday and Thursday nights and in our vet's office during the day for treatment and supervision. On Thursday she was looking pretty good physically, but still had a low white blood cell count and albumin levels. We decided to fork out the cash and give her a transfusion to get the numbers up. We were all optimistic that we could take her home Friday morning. That is what I expected when I left for work Friday, but Lolly called me later that morning to tell me that Belle had intestinal problems that would require costly surgery which may not work. Considering her odds and the amount of money we had already spent, we made the difficult decision to let her go.
So the question was raised, "do you regret spending all that money to save her only to lose her in the end?" The answer, at least for me, is an emphatic "No." We both feel much better knowing that we tried to save her and, honestly, I think our hearts have grown a little larger the last couple of days -- not only from fighting for Belle but also from the kindness that people have shown us.
My sister's sister-in-law is a vet in Ogden, UT. She must have spent an hour and a half of time on the phone with us answering our questions. We have offered to pay her for her time, but she won't take our money. Last night I felt horrible and decided to call my brother who lost his dog and companion of 10 1/2 years just a few weeks ago. When he answered the phone, I couldn't get any words out of my mouth, . . . so he talked to me for half an hour. Others have been there for us as well: my sister, my carpool buddy, friends from the ward, and many others. We are surrounded by wonderful people, and although we feel we have suffered a signicant loss this week, we feel extremely lucky to have the family and friends that we have.
Our days as pet owners are not over. After we have had some time to say goodbye and time to rid our house of the virus, we will get another dog. We think we will name her Belle as well.
9 comments:
I am so sorry. You guys are the sweetest pet owners ever, and I wish you luck with your next animal.
My heart is broken for your family... but what good stewardship you've shown for your sweet pup. I know it's not exactly canonical, but I think you'll have her with you again in the end.
Good luck with your next pupster, and if you decide on a dachshund, we have really been pleased with our breeder (Duchwood Dachshunds).
You're in our thoughts!
Oh no, I'm so sorry you guys. Good decision though. My sister-in-law's dog got hit by a car not too long ago and they rushed her to surgery and she ended up not making it. They spent a ton of money, but felt at peace knowing at least they tried. Hope you all feel better soon about loosing your friend. I like the name, you should use it again.
Oh, and we need to hang out! Chris, do you like to paint ball? Jeron went today and had a lot of fun. You're welcome to join him if you'd like.
i was so sad when josh told me. i hope you all are doing okay. it's not an easy thing to go through. let me know if you need anything!
i am so sorry you guys. losing a dog is so hard i've been through that a few times. bella was so cute. i hope you have a better experience with your next dog
Oh no...I am so sorry. :( It is always sad when pets leave us, even if we have only had them for a short time. When I was growing up we had one pet for less than a day.
Hugs and kisses to the whole fam!
Chris and Lolly -
I'm so sorry. I understand the pain of loosing a pet all to well. I'll be think about you guys lots this weekend! My parents and I firmly believe that part of eternal families will be out pets, so I'm confident that you guys will get to play with her again. Hugs to all, especially to Sadie who probably doesn't know what's going on!
I'm sorry I don't have anything comforting to say. But that is so sad -- she was so cute. That picture of her with Sadie is adorable. I'm sure you'll treasure it.
Oh the things we have to go through! It's sad to have to lose them at such a young age as well. Best of luck with the next puppy!
Post a Comment